Friday, July 11, 2008

Finally...time to post from Ghana!

Wow! I feel like I'm a world away. Oh, I am! I don't know where to start. I guess Williams would be a good place. He is an angel. We left Eban House yesterday to spend a day at the swimming pool at La Palm Resort or Mini America as someone has nicknamed it. It is beautiful. After quite the ordeal trying to leave we went to Frankies for lunch. I ordered chicken and rice for Williams. It was huge and he ate every bite. All that was left was a bare chicken leg bone. I don't even think I knew what one looked like before this. I meant to take a picture of his plate to show my kids at home, but I forgot.

Next, we went to La Palm. It is wonderful by any standards. We were with the Sears family who are adopting 4 children and brought 3 of their children from Virginia, so we were quite a big group. All the kids loved swimming. Williams was very tentative and didn't realize that he could walk in the water. He didn't want to move. Then when he did, he walked off a step and scared himself. It took him a little while to recover from that, but he did get back in. His favorite was just riding around on my back and going under the waterfalls. We'd go back to the shallow and he'd take my hand and say, "Let's go, mommy!" and wanted to head back out for more pool tours.

Williams is quite attached to me. He always wants to be touching me or me touching him. He's always holding my hand when we're on the move and will let me carry him if I wish. This is quite easy because he's so light. He slept on my lap on the way to Frankies and again on the way home from La Palm. On the way home we took a bush road since the traffic was so bad. I've heard people tell of these, but like so many other things, you can't fully appreciate them until you experience them. Amazingly, at least 4 kids were sleeping as we bounced around. I had such a tight hold on Williams that we were a sweaty mess by the time we got home. That's not so unusual though. It was very HOT yesterday.

Back at Maa Oye, Grace was expecting us for dinner, but not the extra 5 kids. As usual, she was gracious and able to feed our whole herd. After seeing how much Williams ate for lunch I was afraid he would not be full so I ate very little and offered him my plate when his was empty. He said, "No Mommy, I ok!" I could tell he just didn't want to take my food from me so I ate a few bites and said how full I was. I asked then if he would like to have the rest and he ate somemore. Again then he gave me my fork back and said, "I ok, Mommy."

In my room before we ate I really didn't have anything for Williams to do so we laid on the bed and looked through a Family Circle magazine with a flashlight. The light in my room is so dim I can't read without my flashlight. I'm thinking little light is a good thing in this situation. The saying "ignorance is bliss" has served me well on this trip. I had a bag of cookies I had gotten for Williams so I told him we would all have them after dinner. He held them close constantly for about 45 minutes until it was time to eat them. He took one and when I went to pass them around the table he looked at me like I was a traitor but I told him we had to share. He then passed them around. He did take a second when it got back to him. When he went for a third I told him no and he said, "Take the rest back to Daddy". What a sweet pea!

I carried him back up to Eban House and I think he might have thought he was staying with me because he wasn't happy. He does a very good mopey face. I held him until everyone was ready to leave, kissed him, told him I'd be back in the morning, and high-tailed it out of there. I'm afraid this evening part is going to get worse each day.

Another mom, Robin, is coming this evening and the Sears' are leaving early tomorrow morning. I'm really going to miss them. I've loved having their kids here too. They are 13, 11, and 10 and have really helped me not miss mine so bad. The Sears have 2 more little one's at home so with their 4 more they will have 9 kids. If anyone can handle it Steve and Heather can. I'm really looking forward to meeting Robin tonight.

To my babies, all 4 of them, at home. I miss you!!!!! Be glad you live where you live!!!!! I hope you had fun at camp Holly and Hannah. I hope you've had fun at all your friends, Adam. Play good this weekend, Hannah. Keep your swing speed up! Tell everyone hi and there's a lot of cute kids here who could use good families. Dad, I hope your recuperating. Mom, thanks for the help with the kids. Hi, Patti. I love you all!!!!!!

6 comments:

Heather said...

What an amazing update! It sounds like Williams is already so bonded to you, and I'm just thrilled for you! Hope the rest of your trip goes as well. Blessings Heather A.

Kristin said...

It was so nice to get such an in depth look at what you are doing. Thanks for sharing your special moments with us! God Bless you on the rest of your trip!

Mom said...

Hi Amy, I was so glad to get your news on your blog. Scott gave me some info from when you phoned. I was so happy that Williams is taking to you right away. Everything is going fine here. I spent the morning with Adam and he coerced me into going to Burger King. He said Mommy and Daddy never go there unless there is no other choice. I think the trading card was the biggest attraction! Dad is doing well recuperating but his primary physician has put him on blood pressure and cholesteral meds. I think Holly and Adam are staying with us tonight. I'm praying for your safe return. I'm sure it is going to be hard to leave sweet Williams but I know you will be anxious to get home. Will see you then. Love you, Mom

Mom said...

Hi Mommy it's Holly!!! We all miss you at home!!! (I'm using Grandma's account)! Williams sounds like such a doll!!! I can't wait till you get home and I can see you again and hear more about Williams!!!
I miss you and love you so much,
Holly
P.S. Camp was awesome!!!

Amy said...

What a beautiful post! Thanks for sharing about your time with Williams- it sounds like you are doing marvelously! Enjoy you time!

Fabu

Amy J said...

From your Family - we just read the blog together. Everything sound good. We are doing fine here and praying for you to come home safely every night. - Scott

I miss you so much!!! I'm praying for you everynight and can't wait till you get home. It sounds like Africa is pretty. Wow Williams is going to fit in the family perfectly since we are all big eaters!!!!! Tell Williams hi and that I love him!!!! I love you!!!!-Holly

I miss you really much and love you really much-Adam

I miss you alot Mommy!! And can't wait for you to come back!!! I love you so much!!!! tell Williams hi and that I love him!!!!-Hannah

P.S. Winston misses you too!!!