Sunday, July 13, 2008

I'm Going Home Already!?

Oops, I didn't mean to send that last post. I'm leaving for home tomorrow night at 9:20pm. I can't believe it's already here. I must say, I am ready to go home. The time has been just right. The time I've spent with Williams has been good. He still wants to be with me constantly. I'd like to see him play with the other kids, but it's me he wants. He'll play catch or football forever. A couple of days ago he was playing catch with his little nerf football and he accidentally launched it over the wall of the compound. The boys came tell me they needed to look for the ball so we went out searching. We ended up with about 20 kids looking for the ball and who found it...Heather Sears the other mom visiting at the time. As we tried to herd all the kids back through the gate there were 4 or 5 breakaway little boys who were high-tailing it up the path. I was yelling and yelling for them to stop and they would not! I looked back toward the gate and no one else saw the situation. I was on my own with a few errant little boys. I decided I couldn't handle it on my own and yelled "Heather, help!" She thought my terror was funny! I was afraid I was going to lose half the population of Eban House single-handedly. They finally stopped and slowly headed back in my direction. I challenged them to a race back to the gate which facilitated a faster return to Eban House. They are safe and sound back within the walls of the compound.

Williams continues to eat a ton. I think I might have misread his intentions earlier about sharing food because now he will not give me a bite of food until he's done. Today for lunch I ordered an adult meal of chicken skewers and rice thinking that we could share it. I'll be darned if he didn't eat 2 1/4 of the 3 skewers, most of the rice and 1 of the 3 little tomatoe wedges! I snarfed down the leftovers while he stood there and said, "Let's go, Mommy!" because he wanted to get in the pool. (We went to La Palm again today. Heather, aren't you jealous!)

Today was a little more challenging with Williams. He get's into this mopey funk and sticks with it for a loooooonnnnnnggggg time... like an hour! Our taxi driver kept telling him, "Little boy, stop crying!" Ghanaians don't like it when kids cry. It wasn't real crying, more of a whine. Very pleasant! It will be something to deal with right away when we get him home. It's usually brought on by not getting something he wants. I thought only American kids had this down to an art!

I have a few hours tomorrow and I haven't told Williams yet that I go home tomorrow. He's not going to like it. I hope the time flies until he comes home!

2 comments:

kristafir said...

i can't wait to see him! can't. wait. definitely post pictures on here soon!

Robin Dodd Photography said...

Woman... I'm so tired.. are you??? I noticed you commented on my blog... that I never post on.. well now that the girls on the way, I'm going to post alot and get myself on the blog list!!! Put me on yours!!
I need to get ready for my sister visiting but cannot move... how do you feel???